Saturday, March 18, 2017

I Was So Observant I Forgot to Post #IMMOOC Week 2

(better late than never)

Week 2 of #IMMOOC, I focused on being observant.  I was so focused on it that I didn't blog.  Oops.  For the purposes of this post, "this week" refers to March 6-10th.  #SorryNotSorry

This week I observed my students in the halls, in the cafeteria.  I observed them in class.  I observed their learning processes.  I watched.  I listened.  I asked some for perspective.   I asked myself the question: "Am I doing what is best for students?"

This week was a great week.  I learned as I observed.  I don't want to share everything, but I'll share this one.  It is an experience I won't soon forget.  It is often difficult to convey the message in 140 characters on Twitter, so I'll elaborate below.



Tied with mere seconds to go, the Longhorns sank a game-winning shot!  The students seated on the other side of the court are my students.  My school's team lost, but this is what happened next.

This is how I described the experience to my PLN without a character limit:

"Today my students cheered against their own team as we played a team from a high school for students with moderate to severe disabilities...and had a blast!  I wish every politician (and school administrator) could see the amazing things that happen when you are allowed/encouraged to teach human beings, not data points."

In all I observed this week, I must never forget that I have the ability and power to influence human beings.  That is the greatest superpower of all.  It shouldn't be wasted.



No comments:

Post a Comment