Saturday, March 26, 2016

The only "No" I fear is the "No" I tell myself

Sometimes I just write in the notes app on my phone.  A line gets stuck in my head and I have to keep it.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the advice I give my students.  I tell them often, "If you don't ask, it's an automatic 'No.'"  I encourage my students not to give up on themselves.  I challenge them not to let others decide how they feel about themselves.  Even as some of them turn 18, my students are still children after all.  Nothing wrong with that, but they have so much left to live, so much yet to grow.  They have so much yet to learn.  Both about the world and their potential.

So here is my advice, do with it as you wish:


The only 'No' I fear is the 'No' I tell myself. 
So I'll keep asking, but not for permission*.
I'll keep dreaming, but not of chances I didn't take.
I'll keep wishing on shooting stars, but not because I don't have the power to make wishes come true.


*[Permission is philosophical here, to further your knowledge and decide your destiny.  Students, you still have to ask before leaving the classroom.]

Don't forget to follow your own advice.  What will you accomplish when you stop telling yourself "No"?

2 comments:

  1. Great advice for kids, young people, and more seasoned folks like me. The time to stop dreaming is when you stop breathing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you think so too! I constantly have to remind myself not to sell myself short. It's a good reminder for everyone.

      Delete